Sunday, April 12, 2009

Cologne

Last weekend we took an overnight trip to Cologne, Germany. It is a 1 1/2 hour drive that we have wanted to make since we got here. The kids aren't too big on sight seeing so we made the trip exciting for them by booking a hotel with a swimming pool.

Lunch at Hard Rock Cafe



We visited the Lindt Chocolate Factory. It was really cool and the kids were very interested in seeing how chocolate is made. Of course the amazing chocolate fountain and free samples weren't too bad either.

Kids posing on the Lindt bunny bench with the Rhine river in the background.



Caden and Kayla enthralled with the demonstrations



Avery being interested in nothing but trying to get us kicked out by pulling on tubing and wires




Cool chocolate shapes



After our tour we stopped by the chocolate cafe for some yummy cake






This is the famous Gothic cathedral. It was one of the most impressive sights that I have seen here in Europe. It is HUGE!



Caden and Kayla posing with a guy in costume and silver paint.



View from up in the tower. We climber 509 stairs to get this view.



Inside the cathedral



After the climb up. Props to Brice for carrying Avery up the VERY narrow and winding stairs and then carrying Kayla 1/2 way down. Way to go kids!
The last thing we did was to tour the Ludwig museum. We thought we could get some extra parenting points by letting our kids see a few Picasso paintings and other famous pieces of art. I won't go into all of the details, but taking 3 kids to a museum that is not targeted for them is a bad idea. We had several museum curators give us the stink eye for being loud and giggly. Maybe I'm small minded, but I just don't get modern art. A white canvas with a dot of paint, or drawings resembling something Kayla did when she was 2 or my favorite, the cardboard box stapled to a wall is not art. Especially compared to the masterpieces I saw at the Louvre in Paris a few days ago.
Over all it was a good trip. However, any guilt Brice and I may have felt for not taking our kids to more European places was washed away. I will say in now and say it loud, I do not like traveling with my kids. They aren't "bad" per say, it is just sooooo much work. They are just as or even more content to go to the local swimming pool or amusement park. That is why we will be doing most of our trips sans the little angles from here on out.











1 comment:

Kim said...

What a fun trip! I have to agree with you about traveling with kids--it's sometimes more trouble than it's worth. I'm hoping that will change once they're a bit older. And I'm totally with you about art! If I can't look at it and know immediately what it is, then to me it's not art. Especially if it looks like a preschool art project gone bad! :)