Friday, April 17, 2009

Runway Ready

It doesn't take much effort to notice that Europeans are a little more fashion forward than the rest of us. Whenever I am out in public here in Germany I am in awe at how the women seem to be able to look so polished, glamorous and runway ready. Don't even get me started on how they can walk the old cobblestone streets in their pumps. But they do!



I don't think I have seen a German woman under 50 wear a sensible shoe. I mean a shoe that feels good on your feet and that doesn't kill your never endings. Even the mommies are sporting the tailored clothes, perfect hair and make-up and the fancy shoes. Needless to say I always feel old and frumpy when I head downtown.
A few weeks back Brice and I were going out..downtown...and I decided that I was going to blend in, or at least try too. So I slid on my skinny jeans and brought out the pumps. Feeling pretty good about my efforts, we headed out. I was doing just fine on the 10 minute walk to the metro stop. I sat through dinner with ease. It wasn't until we were walking through the new mall that I was feeling a little "uncomfortable" in my fancy shoes. I pushed through, telling myself we would be sitting down at the movies soon. Of course once in the theater I sliped the 2 little torture devices off my feet, not even caring about the disgusting floor beneath them.
You can imagine the pain of having to slip those little buggers back on and walk home. I made it most of the way when Brice couldn't take the limping anymore and threw me onto his back (my hero). The poor guy carried me the rest of the way home, up the 3 flights of stairs with out one complaint. However he did almost drop me a few steps way from our front door when I said "I am totally blogging about this."

1 comment:

McKenna said...

That's hilarious! I totally feel you. Euros are so chic, or at least I came here thinking so. I have noticed quite the many girls wearing shoes that'll have a certain clicking sound when they walk indicating that the heel of one shoe is no longer there and they are down to the metal screw of the heel.

When I went back home before I got married I had to trash most of my "totally Euopean" shoes because of that exact reason and because it is totally un-cool to wear shoes that click. Not to mention abnoxious. I now notice that there are many women who are just like us and are smart enough to wear totally chic, totally trendy FLATS.

I am glad you survived at least one date night without having to chuck your shoes or cut off your toes. :)